What’s it like to surf Ericeira? Ask the world’s best surfers, like all-time great Kelly Slater or Portugal’s most famous surfer, Tiago Pires, who grew up here. The pros come here to compete, train and enjoy some of the best waves in the world. There are around 8 kilometres (5 miles) of coastline to surf Ericeira, with spots to suit all levels of surfers. Surf Ericeira’s big and small wave beaches, right and left breaks, sand bars, beach and reef breaks — all located within a short distance from each other and the main village. There is a reason why Ericeira is the only dedicated World Surfing Reserve in all of Europe.
The famous Quicksilver Pro Portugal competition is held every year on Ericeira’s Ribeira d’Ilhas beach and is an event included on the ASP World Tour Surf Championship. Another special thing about Ribeira is that it can be surfed by beginners and professionals alike, making it the perfect place to learn the art. Similar spots for beginners to surf Ericeira include Foz do Lizandro beach, Praia do Sul (South Beach) and São Julião, while the more difficult spots of Cave and Coxos are recommended exclusively for skilled and experienced surfers.
You’ll come to surf Ericeira for its great waves, but you’ll also appreciate its high environmental standards. This is one of the most pristine and undeveloped coastal areas in Europe. The Blue Flag eco-label awards given to Ericeira’s beaches are testament to their safety, water quality, and environmental management and education.
Quick surf Ericeira facts:
- 8 km (5 mi) of coastline packed with world class surf spots
- 30+ good surf beaches accessible in the region
- Traditional Portuguese fishing village where old world charm and hospitality meet world-class surfing
- Breath-taking local scenery of cliffs, valleys, bays and beaches
- Site of major events likeASP World Toursurfingcompetitions andSumol Summer Festmusic festival
- High standards for beach cleanliness: Blue Flag(international) and “Gold Quality” (Portugal)
- Nearby Lisbon: only 35 km / 22 miles away
- Great local surf shops like Quiksilver Boardriders and Magic Quiver
- Modestly pricedsurf lessons, bars, restaurants, bars, and accommodation
- Friendly locals and a hospitable surf scene
Surfing Portugal specially Ericeira will give you an unforgettable surf experience.